VIETNAMESE CARAMEL CHICKEN
- Combine sugar, fish sauce, and black pepper in a shallow plate and turn chicken in the marinade. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine water, fish sauce, sugar, and rice vinegar in a bowl. Set caramel sauce aside.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and pan-fry chicken, skin-side up, until bottoms turn slightly crispy and brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until skin is slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and cook garlic for 30 seconds. Return chicken to the skillet and add caramel sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear. Caramel sauce should be reduced and turn amber in color. Add jalapenos and cook for 1 more minute.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 463.8 calories, Carbohydrate 6.7 g, Cholesterol 141.4 mg, Fat 30.4 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 38.7 g, SaturatedFat 7.7 g, Sodium 675.6 mg, Sugar 5.6 g
VIETNAMESE COCONUT CARAMEL CHICKEN
The chicken version of the wildly popular Vietnamese Caramel Pork! It's saucier and made with coconut milk so it has a gorgeous coconut fragrance. It's sweet with savoury undertones, looks thoroughly unimpressive while cooking but then magically transforms in the last 5 minutes. Recipe VIDEO below.
Provided by Nagi
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the chicken in SKIN SIDE DOWN.
- Adjust the heat so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer (I use medium high heat on a weak stove, medium on a strong stove).
- After 25 minutes, turn the chicken.
- After another 25 minutes, the fat should separate from the sauce and turn a pale brown (see video).
- Turn chicken so the skin side is down. Move it around so the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom of the skillet and to brown the skin.
- Once sauce and skin is brown, remove from heat.
- Place chicken on serving plates, spoon over some sauce (don't need much, chicken is infused with flavour + sauce is strong).
- Garnish with shallots and chilli, if using. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 336 g, Calories 555 kcal
VIETNAMESE-STYLE CARAMELIZED CHICKEN
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to the skillet; cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Remove and discard 3 tablespoons rendered fat from the skillet; reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic, shallot and ginger and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the coconut water, fish sauce and brown sugar and stir until the sugar is melted. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens (the bubbles will begin to slow as it thickens), 4 to 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any collected juices to the skillet and stir to coat the chicken. Cook, reducing the heat if the sauce starts thickening too much, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the jalapeños. Serve the chicken over the rice and top with cilantro leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 500, Fat 17 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Cholesterol 208 milligrams, Sodium 1498 milligrams, Carbohydrate 42 grams, Fiber 1 grams, Protein 43 grams, Sugar 17 grams
VIETNAMESE-STYLE CARAMEL BRAISED CHICKEN
- Place chicken thighs on a rimmed baking sheet in a 400º oven for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce and 1/4 Celsius water. In another small bowl, mix the shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 t. black pepper.
- Put the sugar and 2 T. water in a 10-inch straight-sided saute pan over medium heat and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Let the melted sugar come to a boil and cook, swirling the pan occasionally at first and more frequently as the sugar browns, until it has caramelized to a deep amber color, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully pour in fish sauce mixture to the pan. Swirl the pan to combine and return to medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the shallot mixture and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the shallots soften.
- Add the chicken pieces, stirring to coat them. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and your favorite rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.2, Fat 4.1, SaturatedFat 1, Cholesterol 85.9, Sodium 1187.2, Carbohydrate 15.2, Fiber 0.1, Sugar 13, Protein 21.4
People also searched
More about "vietnamese style caramel braised chicken recipes"
Gà KHO RECIPE (VIETNAMESE CARAMELIZED CHICKEN)
5/5 (16)Total Time 1 hr 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 641 per serving
- Marinade in about 2 tablespoons fish sauce and 1 tablespoons brown sugar for a least 1 hour. Rotate and redistribute marinade after the first 30 minutes.
- Combine for the sauce: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup fish sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup water
- Then add to the sauce 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 1 minced shallot, and 3 cloves minced garlic.
- Heat a pan on high heat, then add some vegetable oil. Add the chicken and rotate as it browns. This should only take a 1-2 minutes.
CARAMEL CHICKEN - VIETNAMESE CARAMEL CHICKEN - RASA …
4.4/5 (72)Total Time 20 minsCategory Vietnamese RecipesCalories 444 per serving
- Marinate the chicken with the Marinade ingredients for 10 minutes. Mix all the ingredients in the Caramel Sauce in a bowl, set aside.
- Heat up a skillet (cast-iron preferred) on medium to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Pan-fry the chicken (skin side up) until the bottom turns slightly crispy and brown. Repeat the same for the skin, until the skin becomes slightly charred. Transfer the chicken out.
- Add the remaining oil into the skillet and add the garlic. Add the chicken into the pan and follow by the Caramel Sauce mixture.
- Lower the heat to simmer and continue to cook until the caramel sauce reduces and becomes amber in color. Make sure you turn the chicken a couple of times during cooking.
VIETNAMESE CARAMEL CHICKEN WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS
5/5 (15)Category DinnerCuisine VietnameseTotal Time 1 hr 10 mins
VIETNAMESE GINGER CHICKEN (GA KHO GUNG) — VICKY PHAM
VIETNAMESE-STYLE CARAMEL CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI
VIETNAMESE-STYLE CARAMEL-BRAISED CHICKEN RECIPE
VIETNAMESE CARAMEL PORK | RECIPETIN EATS
CARAMELISED VIETNAMESE SHREDDED BEEF | RECIPETIN EATS
CHICKEN BANH MI (VIETNAMESE SANDWICH) | RECIPETIN EATS
VIETNAMESE CARAMEL CHICKEN NIBBLES - KOPLO RECIPES
Gà KHO GừNG (VIETNAMESE GINGER CHICKEN) - WOK AND KIN
CHRISTOPHER KIMBALL’S MILK STREET | RECIPES, TV AND COOKING TIPS
VIETNAMESE CARAMEL GINGER CHICKEN (GA KHO) RECIPE
VIETNAMESE ONE-PAN CARAMEL CHICKEN | MARION'S KITCHEN
GA KHO GUNG (VIETNAMESE GINGER CHICKEN) - A PEACHY PLATE
VIETNAMESE STYLE CARAMEL CHICKEN | NEW WORLD
TASTE OF ASIA: VIETNAMESE-STYLE CARAMEL BRAISED CHICKEN
You'll also love