UPSIDE-DOWN BLOOD ORANGE CAKE
In the cold days of a long winter, our tables are brightened by citrus season, and nothing has more flair than a blood orange. Here is a one-pan cake of cornmeal and flour that lets the orange's ruby flesh shine. It takes just a little time to assemble and less than an hour to bake. The result is a festive fruit dessert guaranteed to lift even the worst winter doldrums.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories sauces and gravies, dessert
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons (45 grams) butter. Add the brown sugar and lemon juice; stir until sugar melts, about 3 minutes. Scrape mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from one of the oranges, then slice off the tops and bottoms of both oranges. Place oranges on a clean, flat surface, and slice away the rind and pith, top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit. Slice each orange crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick wheels; discard any seeds. Arrange orange wheels on top of brown sugar mixture in a single, tight layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange zest, cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together remaining 2 sticks (225 grams) butter with granulated sugar. Beat in eggs, one a time, then beat in sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the dry mixture by hand.
- Scrape batter into pan over oranges. Transfer to oven and bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then run a knife along pan's edges to loosen it; invert onto a platter and cool completely before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 558, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 63 grams, Fat 32 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 6 grams, SaturatedFat 19 grams, Sodium 262 milligrams, Sugar 41 grams, TransFat 1 gram
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
Provided by Sam Worley
Yield Makes 1 cake
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Make the caramel:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter the cake pan. Slice the oranges as thinly as you can (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick), preferably using a mandoline and picking out seeds as you go; set aside.
- Make sure you have all the ingredients for the caramel ready to go before you begin cooking it. In a medium pot, combine the sugar and 6 tablespoons water and place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture turns a medium-dark amber color, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and carefully stir in the butter and salt until incorporated. Pour the caramel into the buttered cake pan.
- Starting in the center of the pan, layer the orange slices on top of the caramel, overlapping a bit and working your way toward the outer edge (you may not need to use all the orange slices). Set pan aside.
- Make the cake:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then blend in the vanilla and orange zest.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk, beating just to combine. Spoon the batter in dollops over the oranges in the cake pan, being careful not to move them around too much. Smooth the top of the batter with a wet offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- With an offset spatula or a butter knife, loosen any parts of the cake that seem to be sticking to the side of the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate or platter while it's still hot. Let cool until warm or room temperature, then cut into wedges with a serrated knife to serve.
ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Forget pineapple upside down cake, this orange upside down cake is the new star on the scene. Made with a tangy and tart orange topping and a tender olive oil cake, this orange upside down cake looks and tastes gourmet but comes together super easily!
Provided by Sofi | Broma Bakery
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 inch cake pan pan with parchment paper so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides of the pan. Fold parchment paper so that it hugs the sides of the pan, like an upside down hat. Spray with non-stick spray.
- With the skin still on, slice the oranges in 1/4 inch slices. Use a paring knife to carefully remove the skin from the citrus slices (like cutting off the outer ring). Doing it this way will ensure your oranges citrus stays intact and does not break apart when you slice it.
- Microwave the sugar and water together until the sugar dissolves completely, about 45 seconds. Pour half of the sugar-water into the bottom of the prepared cake pan, then line the bottom with prepared oranges fruits. Once arranged, pour the remaining sugar-water over the oranges. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar, orange zest, and eggs together until pale yellow, about 1 minute. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can also do this by hand with a whisk!
- Keeping the mixer going at a medium low speed, slowly streaming in the olive oil to emulsify. Make sure you go slowly to prevent the batter from splitting! Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt) and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter over the oranges into your prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is a lightly golden brown and a knife inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely. When ready to serve, flip upside down to turn out the cake onto a large plate. Peel the parchment paper away from the oranges and serve your cake!
STICKY ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Provided by jordangenevieve
Yield Serves 8
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- For the sticky orange topping:
- Place sugar, water and vanilla in a 2.5 liter, 20cm non-stick frying pan that is ovenproof, over a medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Add the orange slices and simmer until soft, for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the cake:
- Place eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick, pale and bout tripled in volume, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold through. Fold through the melted butter and ground almonds.
- Pour the cake mixture over the oranges and bake about 40-45 minutes, or a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out on a platter to serve.
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Wash the orange. Cut off and discard the ends. Cut the orange crosswise into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Remove any seeds. Put in the skillet, add 1/4 cup water,and sprinkle with sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, gently stirring to keep the fruit from sticking. Cook until the liquid is almost gone and the orange slices are caramelized. With a fork, move the orange slices into an attractive pattern in the bottom of the skillet.
- 3. In a small saucepan, heat the milk until warm but not hot. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast. Stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat together the 2 egg yolks, the remaining sugar, and the margarine until pale yellow and thick. Add the orange zest and vanilla; mix well. Sift the cornmeal into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the yeast mixture,which should now be frothy.
- 5. In a clean bowl, beat all 4 egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Stir a third of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. Carefully fold in the remaining whites. Spoon the batter in dollops over the orange slices in the skillet. Smooth the top.
- 6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Run a knife between the sides of the skillet and the cake. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Hold a flat serving plate over the skillet and invert the cake. Serve while still warm.
People also searched
More about "orange upside down cake recipes"
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE - BAKES BY BROWN SUGAR
5/5 (20)Total Time 2 hrs 10 minsCategory DessertCalories 386 per serving
- Place the cornmeal and buttermilk in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Allow this mixture to sit for 15 minutes before adding to the other ingredients. This step softens the cornmeal.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the butter into 4 pieces, place them in the 9-inch cake pan and place the pan in the oven. Melt the butter until it just melted - 2 minutes. With a pastry brush, brush the butter up the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the sugar over the butter. Layer the orange slices on top of the sugar, overlapping the oranges in spiral pattern.
- Place the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk until the ingredients are well combined, about 30 seconds.
ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - LOVE IN MY OVEN
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE – BAKING LIKE A CHEF
ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - PREPPY KITCHEN
DONNA HAY'S STICKY ORANGE AND VANILLA UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE …
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPE - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
10 BEST ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
EASY ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE [RECIPE] – FOODS BY MARTA
10 BEST ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE - PAULA DEEN MAGAZINE
UPSIDE DOWN ORANGE CAKE | OLIVE & MANGO
CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHEESECAKE RECIPE – LITTLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
CHIFFON CAKE RECIPE - NYT COOKING
PECAN UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - HOME COOKING ADVENTURE
ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - A CUP OF TEA AND CAKE
PINEAPPLE ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN QUICK CAKE - TASTEFULLYSIMPLE.COM
SUPER EASY & DELICIOUS ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPE …
OLIVE OIL CAKE RECIPE | THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - APPETIT.RECIPES
JULIE'S ORANGE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 🍰 | MASTERCHEF AUSTRALIA - FACEBOOK
UPSIDE DOWN ORANGE CAKE - FAMILY SPICE
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND-PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - DELISH.COM
NAVEL ORANGE OLIVE OIL UPSIDE DOWN CAKE - HOMEGROWN ORGANIC …
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #low-protein #breads #desserts #fruit #oven #potluck #dinner-party #holiday-event #vegetarian #cakes #dietary #gifts #christmas #hanukkah #low-in-something #to-go #equipment
You'll also love