STEAK ON A HOT ROCK WITH WILD HERB BUTTER
- Make the Wild Herb Butter:
- Mix garlic, butter, and herbs in a small bowl. Transfer to a resealable container (small jars work well). Seal and store until ready to use.
- Cook the steak:
- Find 2 of the flattest rocks you can; they should be large enough to fit steaks and at least as thick (about 2" thick is perfect). Place rocks in the center of a fire pit and build a campfire on and around them. Let fire burn until hot coals have covered the rocks (you can help this along by pushing coals on and around them), about 30 minutes.
- Using tongs or heatproof gloves, move rocks away from flames and place them on top of a bed of hot coals. Sprinkle a few drops of water on the rocks-the rocks are ready when the water sizzles and skips across their surface.
- Brush steaks with oil and season generously with salt and pepper (really make it rain). Brush any coals or ash from surface of rocks and place 1 steak on top of each. Cook steak until it easily releases from rocks, 6-12 minutes per side for medium-rare, depending on how hot the rocks are. Check for doneness by touch, using an instant-read thermometer (125°F for medium rare), or by cutting into steak to see the internal color.
- Transfer steak to a plate or cutting board and place a nob of Wild Herb Butter on top. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut steak into thick slices and divide among plates, dotting slices with more butter.
- Do Ahead
- Butter can be made and chilled for up to 5 days, or stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
HERBED COMPOUND BUTTER
A compound butter - a stick of butter seasoned with herbs, lemon and garlic or shallots - is one of the most versatile things to keep on hand. You can store it in the freezer, then slice it whenever you want to add herby richness to a dish. Use it on steak, fish, chicken or even mashed or roasted sweet potatoes. And feel free to vary the herbs to suit your taste. For a kick, a pinch or two of chile powder or a drizzle of hot sauce would do the trick. This recipe is part of The New Essentials of French Cooking, a guide to definitive dishes every modern cook should master. Buy the book.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Categories sauces and gravies
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a bowl, mash together butter, shallots or garlic, herbs, lemon juice, pepper and salt.
- Spoon the butter onto a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap, form into a log and wrap well. Chill for at least 3 hours before using.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 104, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 1 gram, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 0 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 41 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams, TransFat 0 grams
HERB BUTTER FOR STEAK
If you've ever purchased herbs for a recipe and you have some left over, put them to good use by making an herb butter. This recipe uses parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, because I have them growing in my garden. If your family prefers a different combination, go ahead and substitute what they like. The ratio is 1/2 cup of butter to 1/4 cup minced herbs, so use any herbs you like. Simply place a portion on top of a cooked steak, just like a fancy steakhouse would do.
Provided by Bibi
Categories Compound Butters
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Place 7 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter in a small mixing bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir cooked garlic into reserved softened butter.
- Press minced fresh herbs into the garlic-butter mixture using a rubber spatula, stirring and pressing until evenly distributed. Season with sea salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until slightly firmed up, about 20 minutes.
- Turn mixture out onto a 9x12-inch strip of aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Form mixture into a log, about 6 inches long and 1 inch thick. Roll herb butter up in the foil or parchment, twisting the ends and closing with a twist tie or rubber band.
- Return to the refrigerator until firmed up, about 40 minutes.
- Slice into 8 equal portions and serve on top of steak or other dishes. Wrap and refrigerate any leftovers up to 4 days.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 103.8 calories, Carbohydrate 0.4 g, Cholesterol 30.5 mg, Fat 11.5 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 0.2 g, SaturatedFat 7.3 g, Sodium 57.3 mg
More about "steak on a hot rock with wild herb butter recipes"
PERFECT GRILLED STEAK - JUICY AND SIZZLING! - IOWA GIRL EATS
5/5 (18)Category 30 Minute Meal, EntreeServings 2-4
- For the Steak Seasoning: Add ingredients to a mortar and pestle then coarsely grind. Alternatively, add ingredients to a heavy duty Ziplock bag, squeeze all the air out, then crush ingredients with a meat pounder, rolling pin, or heavy bottomed skillet.
- For the Herb Butter: Add ingredients to a bowl then stir with a fork to combine. Scoop herb butter onto a sheet of plastic wrap then shape into a thick log and refrigerate until firm (if time is of the essence you can freeze for 20-30 minutes.) Can be done ahead of time.
- For the steaks: Trim steaks of any big hunks of fat to avoid flare ups on the grill then pat dry with a paper towel. Rub each side with oil then season generously with the steak seasoning and press gently into steaks so it adheres - you should use most if not all of the seasoning.
- Light 2/3 or 1/2 of your grill burners (2 of 3 burners, or 1 of 2 burners, depending on how many burners you have) then heat on high for 10-15 minutes, or until the grill reaches 500 degrees. Add steaks to the lit side then sear on each side for 1-1/2 minutes (adjust accordingly if your steaks are bigger or smaller than 1lb cut 1-1/2" thick,) keeping the lid closed between flipping. Transfer steaks to unlit portion of grill then continue cooking for 7-10 minutes with the lid closed for medium doneness, or until they've reached your preferred level of doneness. Remove steaks to a platter then let rest for at least 5 minutes. Top with sliced herb butter then serve.
HOW TO COOK A STEAK DINNER AT THE CAMPFIRE | EPICURIOUS
Author Nick FauchaldEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
THE PERFECT STEAK WITH GARLIC BUTTER - DAMN DELICIOUS
4.9/5 (33)Total Time 30 minsServings 8
WILD PASTURES - RECIPES
JUICY GRILLED TBONE STEAK WITH HERB BUTTER RECIPE
THE PERFECT STEAK WITH HERB BUTTER | WOMEN'S WEEKLY FOOD
STEAK ON A HOT ROCK WITH WILD HERB BUTTER | PUNCHFORK
SIMPLY PERFECT EASY STEAK BUTTER - SMALL TOWN WOMAN
RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK BUTTER RECIPE - JUGGLING ACT MAMA
STEAK BUTTER WITH FRESH HERBS | JULIE BLANNER
STEAK ON A HOT ROCK WITH WILD HERB BUTTER - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
SIZZLING GARLIC HERB BUTTER STEAK RECIPE | HELLOFRESH
JUICY GRILLED TBONE STEAK WITH HERB BUTTER RECIPE
AIR-FRYER STEAK WITH GARLIC-HERB BUTTER RECIPE - NYT …
STEAK ON A HOT ROCK WITH WILD HERB BUTTER | RECIPE | HOW TO …
STEAK WITH HERB BUTTER - FRAMED COOKS
HOT ROCK COOKING RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS …
GARLIC HERB BUTTER FOR STEAK - THE SPECKLED PALATE
GRILLED TOMAHAWK STEAK WITH HERB BUTTER - VIKALINKA
GRILLED TOMAHAWK RIB-EYE STEAK WITH FINES HERB COMPOUND …
BLACK ROCK STEAK SAUCE RECIPE RECIPES - STEVEHACKS
You'll also love