HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES
Once you learn how commercial maraschino cherries are made, you will want to make your own at home. It does take time, but this recipe makes it easy.
Provided by Peggy Trowbridge Filippone
Categories Dessert Ingredient Condiment
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Gather the ingredients.
- Bring the water and pickling salt to a boil in a pot, stirring until the salt is dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour over pitted sweet cherries. Cover and let sit 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain the cherries, discarding the brine, and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, lemon juice, and red food coloring, if using. Bring just to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, and remove from the heat.
- Pour the liquid over the cherries, cover, and let stand for 24 hours.
- Drain the cherries, reserving the juice. Set the cherries aside. Bring reserved juice to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract, if using.
- Pour the warm liquid over the cherries.
- Pack the cherries with the juice in clean jars and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 36 kcal, Carbohydrate 9 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Fiber 0 g, Protein 0 g, SaturatedFat 0 g, Sodium 32 mg, Sugar 9 g, Fat 0 g, ServingSize 3 pounds cherries, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
17 WAYS TO USE MARASCHINO CHERRIES
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a maraschino cherry recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Nutrition Facts :
- Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Scald a pint jar with a little boiling water; just swirl and dump. Pack the cherries and orange peel into the jar, leaving 1 inch of headroom at the top.
- Stir together the cherry liqueur, almond extract and 2 1/2 ounces of the sugar syrup in a glass (save the remaining sugar syrup for sweetening drinks). Pour the mixture over the cherries. If needed, top off with cherry liqueur to cover. Seal the jar and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 days.
The liquid and cherries glow Kool-Aid red, but they are seductively crisp-textured and steeped with an exotic, piney, floral flavor that is just sweet enough but balanced by a tart tang. Sublime in a manhattan, they are even better over coconut sorbet, and just imagine them on top of an ice cream sundae.
Provided by Melissa Clark
Yield About 1 pint
Number Of Ingredients 2
- Bring maraschino liqueur to a simmer in a small pot. Turn off heat and add cherries. Let mixture cool, then store in a jar in refrigerator for at least 2 days before using, and up to several months.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 253, UnsaturatedFat 0 grams, Carbohydrate 32 grams, Fat 0 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 0 grams, Sodium 8 milligrams, Sugar 29 grams
More about "canned maraschino cherries recipes"
15 WAYS TO USE MARASCHINO CHERRIES - ALLRECIPES
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies II. Looking for a bake sale treat that will wow? These soft, chewy chocolate cookies will sell out fast. They get a double dose of maraschino cherries, with juice from the jar in a melted chocolate drizzle and a whole cherry on top of each cookie.
- Maraschino Cherry Pound Cake. We're nicknaming this pound cake Pretty in Pink. Chopped maraschino cherries are folded into the batter before baking.
- Divine Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream. Why top your ice cream sundae with one maraschino cherry when you can fold a whole bunch right into the ice cream?
- Cinnamon Tortilla Surprise. These adorable treats are a much lighter version of the deep-fried tortilla shell with ice cream served at many Mexican restaurants.
- Adult Slushies. While maraschino cherries are usually a garnish in many cocktails, this boozy slushie blends them right into the main mixture.
- Banana Split Cake Bars. Taking inspiration from the classic sundae, this moist snack cake folds in all the essential toppings (crushed pineapple, bananas, and maraschino cherries).
- Cherry Walnut Bars. Your new favorite bar cookie is packed with bright, sweet maraschino cherries. They top a buttery shortbread base along with flaked coconut and walnuts.
- Classic Old Fashioned. The Old Fashioned is a mainstay on every bar menu for a reason... it's delicious! No glass would be complete without a maraschino cherry and an orange slice.
- Cherry Limeade I. Bubbly, tart-sweet cherry limeade will have you dreaming of drive-in movies, poodle skirts, and park-and-eat diners with servers on roller skates.
- English Trifle. Maraschino cherries shine best as a garnish — the bright red fruit and stem are so eye-catching on cakes, cocktails, and ice cream.
HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRY RECIPE + CANNING …
10 EASY CANNED CHERRY RECIPES - INSANELY GOOD
CANNING MARASCHINO CHERRIES - CREATIVE HOMEMAKING
BROWN SUGAR, CANNED PINEAPPLE, HAM & MARASCHINO CHERRY RECIPES
HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES RECIPE AND CANNING HOW TO
GLACE MARASCHINO CHERRIES, AND CANDIED CHERRIES | LENA …
HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES - SBCANNING.COM - HOMEMADE …
HOMEMADE LUXARDO MARASCHINO CHERRIES - A COZY KITCHEN
HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRY RECIPE + CANNING INSTRUCTIONS
MARASCHINO CHERRY CAKE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP – BAKING LIKE A CHEF
23+ CANNED CHERRY RECIPES TO MAKE DESSERTS EXCITING …
10 BEST MARASCHINO CHERRIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
CANNED CHERRIES RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
HOMEMADE MARASCHINO CHERRIES RECIPE | I CAN COOK THAT
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love