This is one of the seven fish dishes we serve at Christmas time. It is easy to make and quite delicious! I enjoy it served both warm and cold. Either way, it has become one of our traditional dishes each year. The recipe has been passed down to me through my grandparents, who were excellent cooks. -Paul Rinaldi, Easton, Pennsylvania
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Chop calamari tentacles; cut body into 1/2-in. rings., In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add anchovies if desired; stir in parsley and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add wine; stir in mushrooms, if desired, and seasonings. Add calamari; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until calamari is tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat; cool slightly., In a serving bowl, toss celery, olives, lemon juice and calamari mixture. May be served warm, or refrigerated and served cold.
Nutrition Facts :
GRAMMY'S CALAMARI SALAD
- In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Stir in squid, and cook about 3 minutes, or until tender; drain.
- Toss squid, olives, and celery with the lemon juice mixture. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119.3 calories, Carbohydrate 6.8 g, Cholesterol 264.5 mg, Fat 2.2 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 18.2 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 108.5 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
- Cut tubes of calamari into 1-inch rings and cut the tentacles in half. In a large pot bring water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Carefully place the calamari in the pot. Cook the calamari until tender, about 2 minutes. Be sure not to overcook.
- Strain the calamari and place in a mixing bowl. Add all of the ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the calamari cold.
GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD
- Put 1 cup of the herb oil in a mixing bowl. Add calamari, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Remove calamari, season with salt and pepper on both sides and grill for approximately 4 minutes per side. While the calamari is cooking, put all other ingredients and the remaining 1 cup herb oil in a mixing bowl. Slice calamari into thin juliennes, and add to all of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly, season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients. This can be prepared in advance and used for multiple recipes.
SAUTEED CALAMARI SALAD
- In a bowl, mix together juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, chiles, mint and basil. Add the calamari and marinate for only 30 seconds. Take the calamari out of the marinade and add to a very hot skillet, lightly oiled. Toss calamari quickly around and cook only 2-3 minutes until done. Cook in two batches. Remove calamari and place on top of the arugula. In the same hot skillet, add the tomatoes and 1/3 cup of the marinade. Bring to a boil then add to salad and mix well. Check for seasoning and serve.
- Wine Recommendation: Egerie, Champagne Brut, Pannier, 1990
- Rinse squid under cold running water, then lightly pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide rings.
- Cook squid in a 5- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water , uncovered, until just opaque, 40 to 60 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then stir in onion and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, and parsley in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Let stand at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water-bath; set aside. Add calamari rings to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer calamari to ice water bath; let cool 15 to 30 minutes. Drain calamari and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, celery, olives, garlic, and basil. Add calamari and toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This beautiful seafood salad makes a terrific home for leftover Niçoise olives from the braised [Veal Cacciatore](/recipes/food/views/351137) . Quickly cooking the calamari renders it snowy white and very tender-such a nice backdrop to the salty olives and crunchy celery. Scallion, lemon zest, and celery add freshness.
Provided by Kay Chun
Yield Makes 6 (main course) or 8 (first course) servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Rinse squid under cold running water, then pat dry between paper towels. Halve tentacles lengthwise and cut bodies (including flaps, if attached) crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide rings. Cook in a 4-quart pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 3 quarts water), uncovered, until just opaque, 30 to 40 seconds. Drain and immediately transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. When squid is cool, drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add squid and toss until combined well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
From Gourmet magazine comes this wonderful calamari salad - and although it is delicious eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you allow it to chill for 8 hours in the refrigerator then bring it to room temperature for serving.
Provided by Julesong
Yield 8 servings as a side dish, 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- (If you got whole squid, clean them first: gently pull the head and tentacles away from the body, then pull out the backbone from inside the body and discard it and the intestines and ink sac; cut the tentacles from the head just below the eyes and discard head; remove membrane from body.).
- Rinse all the squid under running water and pat dry.
- Cut the tentacle bunches in half, and cut the bodies into 1/4 to 1/3-inch wide rings; cut the wings from the bodies.
- Fill a 5 or 6 quart pot full of water, add a couple teaspoons of salt, and bring it to a boil.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Cook all the prepared squid pieces in the boiling water until just opaque, a brief 40 to 60 seconds, then remove from pot and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking.
- When squid has cooled, transfer to a colander, let drain, and pat dry; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; add in onion, stir, and let the dressing stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked squid, olives, tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, and feta (if using), then toss with the dressing.
- Let salad stand, tossing occasionally, for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Note: although good eaten right after preparation, it's even better if you chill it for 8 hours - tossing occasionally - then bring it to room temperature before serving (about 1 hour); also, some people prefer the onion to be sautéed lightly before adding it to the salad.
- Makes 4 main course servings, 8 side dish servings.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369.1, Fat 21.9, SaturatedFat 3.3, Cholesterol 397, Sodium 474.5, Carbohydrate 14.8, Fiber 2.6, Sugar 4.3, Protein 28.3
- Bring three quarts of water to a boil, add the squid and boil for three minutes, just until the squid turns opaque and firms up. Drain the squid and rinse it with cold water. Pat it dry on paper towels and slice the bodies into thin rings. Chop the triangular fins and the tentacles. Place the squid in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and refrigerate for two to three days, then serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 253, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 19 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 453 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams
More about "calamari salad recipes"
SQUID SALAD - LIDIA
19 CALAMARI RECIPES WORTHY OF YOUR TIME | GOURMET …
CHILLED CALAMARI SALAD WITH LEMON AND PARSLEY - SKINNYTASTE
BEST CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE (SQUID!) - YOUTUBE
10 BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES | YUMMLY
ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD - SIP AND FEAST
FOO’S GRILLED CALAMARI MANGO SALAD RECIPE - PBS FOOD
BEST ITALIAN CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN SQUID
PINEAPPLE CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - EASY RECIPES
CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE ...EASY SQUID DISH! - MYFOODCHANNEL
EASY CALAMARI SALAD WITH BELL PEPPERS | BABAGANOSH
EASY CALAMARI SALAD - REAL RECIPES FROM MUMS - MOUTHS OF MUMS
BEST CALAMARI SALAD RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
SPICY GRILLED CALAMARI SALAD RECIPE - EAT THIS NOT THAT
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #main-dish #salads #seafood #vegetables #european #diabetic #dinner-party #holiday-event #picnic #summer #italian #dietary #low-sodium #seasonal #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #independence-day #low-in-something #no-shell-fish #squid #onions #tomatoes #to-go
You'll also love