EASY TEXAS BBQ BRISKET
Mom came to visit and told me my brisket was even better than the version we used to eat back in Texas. Use the leftovers for sandwiches and tacos. -Audra Rorick, Blanca, Colorado
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. With a fork or sharp knife, prick holes in briskets. Rub meat with seasoning mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight., Preheat oven to 325°. Place briskets, fat sides up, in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine steak sauce, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat., Cover tightly with foil; bake 4 to 5 hours or until tender. Let stand in juices 15 minutes. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Skim fat from pan juices; spoon over meat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 456 calories, Fat 14g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 135mg cholesterol, Sodium 1283mg sodium, Carbohydrate 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 66g protein.
TEXAS BARBECUE BRISKET
- To make the barbecue sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan, then cook onion and garlic for a few mins until soft. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan with a good pinch of salt and simmer for 20 mins. Use a hand blender or food processor to whizz to a smooth purée.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Make the rub by mixing all the ingredients together with a pinch of salt. Rub the mix all over the beef and set aside.
- In a large roasting tin, mix the beef stock and ½ the barbecue sauce. Add the brisket to the tin, cover tightly with foil, then cook for 4-5 hrs until the meat is really tender when you push a fork into it. The beef can be prepared the night before - just leave it to cool in the tin covered with foil, but don't refrigerate.
- To finish the beef, get a barbecue fired up and wait until the coals are completely ashen - you want a low, not fierce, heat. Lift the beef out of the roasting tin and place on the barbecue to char. If your barbecue has a lid, close it now. Cook for about 20 mins, turning it carefully with tongs, until lightly charred all over and heated through. Lift onto a board and serve sliced with the remaining barbecue sauce on the side.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 958 calories, Fat 59 grams fat, SaturatedFat 26 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 13 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 10 grams sugar, Protein 94 grams protein, Sodium 1.2 milligram of sodium
TEXAS-STYLE BARBECUED BRISKET
Editor's note: The recipe and introductory text below are from The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition, by Steven Raichlen. To read more about Raichlen and BBQ, go to our feature The Best Barbecue in the U.S.A.
Provided by Steven Raichlen
Yield Makes 10 to 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 13
- 1. Rinse the brisket under cold running water and blot it dry with paper towels.
- 2. Combine the salt, chili powder, sugar, pepper, and cumin in a bowl and toss with your fingers to mix. Rub the spice mixture on the brisket on all sides. If you have time, wrap the brisket in plastic and let it cure, in the refrigerator, for 4 to 8 hours (or even overnight), but don't worry if you don't have time for this-it will be plenty flavorful, even if you cook it right away.
- 3. Set up a charcoal grill for indirect grilling and preheat it to low. No drip pan is necessary for this recipe.
- 4. When ready to cook, toss 1 1/2 cups of the wood chips on the coals (3/4 cup per side). Place the brisket, fat side up, in an aluminum foil pan (or make a pan with a double sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil). Place the pan in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill.
- 5. Smoke cook the brisket until tender enough to shred with your fingers; 6 hours will likely do it, but it may take as long as 8 (the cooking time will depend on the size of the brisket and heat of the grill). Baste the brisket from time to time with the fat and juices that accumulate in the pan. You'll need to add 10 to 12 fresh coals to each side every hour and toss more wood chips on the fresh coals; add about 3/4 cup chips per side every time you replenish the coals during the first 3 hours.
- 6. Remove the brisket pan from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes. Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and thinly slice it across the grain, using a sharp knife, electric knife, or cleaver. Transfer the sliced meat to a platter, pour the pan juices on top, and serve at once.
- Barbecue Sauce, the Texas Way
- The best Texas-style barbecue sauce combines the sweetness of Kansas City-style tomato sauces with the mouth-puckering tartness of a North Carolina vinegar sauce. I've come up with my own version-mix together equal parts of the Basic Barbecue Sauce and the North Carolina Vinegar Sauce . Serve this with barbecued brisket. For a really good sauce, add some meat drippings or a little chopped brisket.
TEXAS BBQ BRAISED BEEF BRISKET
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 23
- For the rub: Mix the paprika, 1 tablespoon each of salt and black pepper, the brown sugar, and the cayenne. Rub spice mixture all over brisket, wrap tightly, and refrigerate overnight.
- Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling. Prepare an outdoor grill with a medium to medium-low fire for indirect grilling.
- For the sauce: Mix the tomato puree, beer, celery, onion, 1/2 cup of the vinegar, the brown sugar, mustard, bacon, garlic, chiles, bay leaves, chili powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and black pepper to taste in a large disposable aluminum pan. Put brisket in the sauce.
- Throw a handful of drained wood chips on the hot coals, put the pan over the cooler side of the grill, and cover so the vent holes are directly over the brisket. Baste meat every 30 minutes, turning occasionally and adding water to the pan as necessary to keep meat partially submerged, until the meat is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 200 degrees F, about 3 3/4 hours. Replenish the charcoal as needed to maintain a medium to medium-low fire.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. Skim the fat from the braising sauce and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup cider vinegar and salt to taste. Reheat if necessary. Thinly slice brisket across the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Spoon some sauce over the meat and pass the rest at the table.
BARBECUED TEXAS BEEF BRISKET
- Make dry rub:
- Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon dry rub to another small bowl and reserve for mop. Spread remaining dry rub all over brisket. Cover with plastic; chill overnight.
- Make mop:
- Mix first 6 ingredients plus reserved dry rub in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat 5 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup mop into bowl; cover and chill for use in sauce. Cover and chill remaining mop.
- Following manufacturer's instructions and using natural lump charcoal, start fire in smoker. When charcoal is ash gray, drain 1/2 cup wood chips and scatter over charcoal. Bring smoker to 200°F. to 225°F., regulating temperature by opening vents wider to increase temperature and closing slightly to reduce temperature.
- Place brisket, fat side up, on rack in smoker. Cover; cook until tender when pierced with fork and meat thermometer inserted into center registers 185°F., about 10 hours (turn brisket over for last 30 minutes). Every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, add enough charcoal to maintain single layer and to maintain 200°F. to 225°F. temperature; add 1/2 cup drained wood chips. Brush brisket with chilled mop in pan each time smoker is opened. Transfer brisket to platter; let stand 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 1 hour. Wrap in foil; chill. Before continuing, rewarm brisket, still wrapped, in 350°F. oven about 45 minutes.) Combine barbecue sauce and chili powder in heavy small saucepan. Add any accumulated juices from brisket and bring to boil, thinning sauce with some of reserved 1/2 cup mop, if desired.
- Thinly slice brisket across grain. Serve, passing sauce separately.
This is the quintessential Texas-style brisket. Even my husband's six-generation Texas family is impressed by it! Grilling with wood chips takes a little extra effort, but I promise you'll be glad you did. Each bite tastes like heaven on a plate. -Renee Morgan, Taylor, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 20 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Trim fat on brisket to 1/2-inch thickness. Rub brisket with pepper and salt; place in a large disposable foil pan, fat side up. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Meanwhile, soak wood chips in water., To prepare grill for slow indirect cooking, adjust grill vents so top vent is half open and bottom vent is open only a quarter of the way. Make 2 arrangements of 45 unlit coals on opposite sides of the grill, leaving the center of the grill open. Light 20 additional coals until ash-covered; distribute over unlit coals. Sprinkle 2 cups soaked wood chips over lit coals., Replace grill rack. Close grill and allow temperature in grill to reach 275°, about 15 minutes., Place foil pan with brisket in center of grill rack; cover grill and cook 3 hours (do not open grill). Check temperature of grill periodically to maintain a temperature of 275° throughout cooking. Heat level may be adjusted by opening vents to raise temperature and closing vents partway to decrease temperature., Add another 10 unlit coals and 1 cup wood chips to each side of the grill. Cook brisket, covered, 3-4 hours longer or until fork-tender (a thermometer inserted in brisket should read about 190°); add coals and wood chips as needed to maintain a grill temperature of 275°., Remove brisket from grill. Cover tightly with foil; let stand 30-60 minutes. Cut brisket across the grain into slices.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 351 calories, Fat 12g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 116mg cholesterol, Sodium 1243mg sodium, Carbohydrate 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 56g protein.
BARBECUED TEXAS BEEF BRISKET
- Dry Rub: Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Transfer 1 tablespoon dry rub to another small bowl and reserve for mop. Spread remaining dry rub all over brisket. Cover with plastic; chill overnight.
- Mop: Mix first 6 ingredients plus reserved dry rub in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over low heat 5 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup mop into bowl; cover and chill for use in sauce. Cover and chill remaining mop.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place brisket, fat side up, in a Dutch oven or other heavy baking pan large enough to hold the brisket. Roast brisket in pan for 3 to 4 hours, basting with mop every 20 minutes, until tender.
- Transfer brisket to platter; let stand 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil; chill. Before continuing, rewarm brisket, still wrapped, in 350 degree oven about 45 minutes.)
- Combine barbecue sauce and chili powder in heavy small saucepan. Add any accumulated juices from brisket and bring to boil, thinning sauce with some of reserved 1/2 cup mop, if desired. Thinly slice brisket across grain. Serve, passing sauce separately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 933.8, Fat 76.1, SaturatedFat 29.1, Cholesterol 193.2, Sodium 2134.1, Carbohydrate 12.2, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 4.9, Protein 46.4
TEXAS-STYLE BARBECUED BEEF BRISKET
From Southern Living January 2012. As a note, I am not a fan of cumin so I would reduce it to 1/2 tsp and/or omit it altogether!
Provided by Papa D 1946-2012
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Lightly grease a 6 quart slow cooker, add onion and garlic. Stir together chili powder and next 5 ingredients. Rub over brisket and place brisket over onion mixture in slow cooker.
- Whisk together beer and chili sauce. Slowly pour mixture around brisket, avoid removing spices from brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high 4 to 5 hours. When done uncover and let sit in cooker 20 minutes.
- Remove brisket from slow cooker; cut brisket across the grain into thin slices put on serving plate and spoon pan juices over meat.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 388.9, Fat 17.2, SaturatedFat 6, Cholesterol 140.6, Sodium 556.3, Carbohydrate 7, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 2.3, Protein 48.1
People also searched
More about "texas style barbecued brisket recipes"
TEXAS BRISKET RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
TEXAS STYLE BBQ WORLD CHAMPION BRISKET RECIPE | HOW TO …
AUTHENTIC TEXAS STYLE SMOKED BRISKET RECIPE AND …
TEXAS-STYLE SMOKED BRISKET RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
TEXAS-STYLE BARBECUED BEEF BRISKET RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (2)Total Time 7 hrs 40 minsServings 4-6
- Lightly grease a 6-qt. slow cooker; add onion and garlic. Stir together chili powder and next 5 ingredients. Rub over brisket; place brisket over onion mixture in slow cooker.
- Whisk together beer and chili sauce. Slowly pour mixture around brisket (to avoid removing spices from brisket).
- Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 4 to 5 hours) or until fork-tender. Uncover and let stand in slow cooker 20 minutes.
- Remove brisket from slow cooker; cut brisket across the grain into thin slices. Return brisket to slow cooker, and spoon pan juices over meat.
TEXAS BARBECUE BRISKET | AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN RECIPE
TEXAS STYLE SMOKED BARBECUE BRISKET RECIPE :: THE MEATWAVE
TEXAS-STYLE OVEN BRISKET RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
TEXAS BBQ BRISKET RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
TRADITIONAL TEXAS BRISKET RECIPE - VUXEX.TALKWIRELESS.INFO
TEXAS STYLE SMOKED BEEF BRISKET - HEY GRILL, HEY
HOW TO SMOKE A BBQ BRISKET TEXAS-STYLE (2022)
TRADITIONAL TEXAS BRISKET RECIPE - YFMR.TALKWIRELESS.INFO
TEXAS-STYLE BARBECUED BRISKET RECIPE - FOOD.COM
THE 31-YEAR-OLD BOUGHT A TURQUOISE BLUE ARISTOCRAT TRAILER TO USE …
TEXAS SMOKED BRISKET RECIPE | TEXAS BEEF COMPANY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to smoke a brisket-Texas style?How to Smoke a Brisket- Texas Style: PRO TIP: Mix your salt, pepper, and garlic in an old spice shaker container and shake the spices out at about 2 feet above your brisket while seasoning. This will create a nice even layer of salt, pepper, and garlic across the entire surface of your brisket.
What is Texas-style brisket?Texas-style barbecued beef brisket. Brisket is the king of barbecue in Texas, with giant slabs of the stuff slowly cooked in huge custom-built smokers.
How to cook beef brisket in the oven with sauce?Preheat oven to . 325°Place briskets, fat sides up, in a roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine steak sauce, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cover tightly with foil; bake 4 to 5 hours or until tender. Let stand in juices 15 minutes.
How to make beef brisket rub?Steps to Make It. In a medium bowl, whisk together paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, dried parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, and hot chili powder until thoroughly mixed. The rub is now ready to be applied to a brisket or any other protein of your choosing.