Creamy Lettuce Soup is a delicious, healthy recipe that uses 1 head of lettuce. Combined with heavy cream, chicken broth and spices, this is a great way to add lettuce to your diet! I love using Bibb lettuce in this recipe but Romaine and Iceberg work good too! Who knew cooked lettuce could taste so yummy for dinner - even kids love it!
Provided by Pamela
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in medium sized pot.
- When hot, add the garlic until slightly brown.
- Add your lettuce, parsley and oregano and stir until lettuce is wilted.
- Add your chicken broth and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Transfer in batches to blender or use immersion blender to puree soup. If using a blender do this in batches and be careful as the liquid will be very hot.
- Transfer back to pot.
- Add your heavy cream, salt and pepper and stir until all heated (about 5 minutes).
- Serve, garnish with additional heavy cream on top if desired.
ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP
- In a heavy stockpot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions with the salt and pepper until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatillo and jalapeno(s) and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook 10 minutes longer. Add the cilantro to the soup and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, and puree in a blender or food processor. If you want a more elegant soup, pass through a strainer. Bring back to a boil before serving. Beat 1 cup of the heavy cream until soft peaks form. In a small bowl, mix the anchovy paste with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream until smooth. Fold into the whipped cream and beat a few more strokes. Serve the soup hot with dollops of the anchovy cream garnish.
Why have your soup and salad separately when you can enjoy the delicate flavor of romaine in this silky soup?
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, onion, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and a couple turns of pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Whisk in the milk and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lettuce and cook, turning with tongs, until bright green, about 1 minute. Working in batches, blend the soup until smooth; return it to the pot to heat through and thin with milk or water as desired. Serve topped with shredded romaine.
- Disclaimer: When blending hot liquid, first let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then transfer it to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters and pulse until smooth.
An easy Lettuce Soup recipe. This soup is a great way to use lettuce's outer leaves and ribs, which usually go to waste. Any kind of potato and any salad greens, including lettuce, arugula, spinach, and watercress, will work fine.
Yield Makes 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Cook onion mixture and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in potato, lettuce, and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and transfer to a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Bring soup to a simmer, then whisk in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.
EASY LETTUCE SOUP
We made this when our garden overflowed with lettuce and were suprised at how good this was. Don't laugh... I think this recipe was from Richard Simmons (though I do think he's super nice!)
Provided by Yogi8
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook onion in butter till soft.
- Add lettuce, then flour, then broth.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in blender and add milk, salt& pepper, nutmeg, and paprika.
- Blend for a minute, then return to pot and reheat.
Lettuce soup is a fantastic way to use up lettuce - or any other salad leaves - that might otherwise be wasted. Lovely served hot and equally good chilled for a light summery meal.
Provided by Justine Pattison
Categories Starters & nibbles
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5-6 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring regularly.
- Add the lettuce and potatoes and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover loosely with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and blitz using a stick blender until smooth. If the soup is a little thick, add a splash of just-boiled water. Season to taste with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and, if you like, top with swirls of cream and chopped herbs.
CREAM OF LETTUCE SOUP
This is such a delicious soup! It has a lovely consistency and loved by all who I have served it to. This is a real winner! People who have never had it before can't seem to guess whats in it!! Where this recipe calls for Chicken Stock, I use Campbell's Real Stock, and add water. It's so much easier than having to make your own! I usually use 1/2 Chicken and 1/2 Vegetable Stock. If making in advance leave out the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream and add just before re-heating and serving. For the purpose of freezing -leave the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream out until thawed and re-heated.
Provided by Karin...
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 10-12 cups of Cream Of Lettuce Soup, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt the butter in a deep pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and tarragon.
- Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add lettuce and watercress and cook, stirring, for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and put through a blender to puree.
- A handheld is ideal for doing this!
- Return to a clean pan, heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in milk.
- Bring to simmering point.
- Beat egg YOLKS in a bowl and gradually beat in the scalded cream until smooth.
- Stir into soup.
- HEAT, but do NOT BOIL!
- Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley and/or spring onions.
This is a soup that my Slovak grandmother used to make when I was a little girl. She used lettuce she would pick fresh out of her garden. I still make this soup every summer and remember her sitting in her kitchen sipping coffee with my mother and aunt. It brings back such fond memories.
Provided by Ursie
Yield 6-8 Large Bowls, 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- In a cast iron skillet (this the best but you can use any type skillet) Fry 2 lb. of bacon (to render fat, but not crisp the bacon).
- Remove bacon from skillet leaving the fat in the pan.
- Allow the fat to brown (slightly).
- For every 2 Tablespoons of browned fat rendered add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Stirring constantly, brown flour in fat to a deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly so as not to curdle the milk when added.
- Once cooled, add 1 cup of milk for ever 2 tablespoons of flour used.
- Bring to rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Add torn up lettuce and cut up bacon to the browned fat and flour mixture.
- Bring back to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add eggs to mixture making sure to stir it throughout the soup.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 hour (until lettuce is cooked down).
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with a crusty French bread.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 735.6, Fat 70, SaturatedFat 23.2, Cholesterol 173.4, Sodium 1317.5, Carbohydrate 4.5, Fiber 1.6, Sugar 1.1, Protein 21.3
More about "lettuce soup recipes"
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
Servings 4Estimated Reading Time 3 minsCategory Main
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
LETTUCE SOUP | RICARDO
3 EASY RECIPES FOR TASTIEST LETTUCE SOUP - WE HATE TO …
EASY ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - DAIRY FREE - LOW …
15 ALL RECIPES LETTUCE SOUP - SELECTED RECIPES
HOT OR COLD CREAMY LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
10 BEST ROMAINE LETTUCE SOUP RECIPES | YUMMLY
LETTUCE SOUP RECIPE - THE RELUCTANT GOURMET
LETTUCE SOUP FOOD - HOMEANDRECIPE.COM
LETTUCE SOUP ♥ UNUSUAL RECIPE! - A VEGGIE VENTURE
KOREAN STYLE LETTUCE SALAD RECIPE | DELICIOUS RECIPES
DELICIOUS BUTTER LETTUCE SOUP [RECIPE!] | POLONIST
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #very-low-carbs #soups-stews #eggs-dairy #vegetables #european #summer #eggs #stove-top #czech #dietary #seasonal #low-carb #low-in-something #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love